The Citizens Bank of Clovis
Incorporated on January 7, 1916, with capital stock of $25,000, The Citizens Bank of Clovis has become the largest independent financial institution in East-Central New Mexico now with assets in excess of $449,000,000. With capital in excess of $46,000,000, it is one of the best capitalized banks in New Mexico.
On February 19, 1920, a group of investors led by S. J. (Sid) Boykin and A. W. Skarda organized Farmers State Bank of Clovis. Four years later, Farmers State Bank merged with The Citizens Bank, becoming The Citizens Bank of Clovis with S. A. Jones serving as president and A. W. Skarda serving as cashier. Skarda became president in 1940, serving in that position until 1967 when T. E. Willmon, Jr. became president. Kent Carruthers became president in 1986 and still serves in that capacity.
Since 1968 the bank has functioned with three directors currently being, J.T. Skarda, Jennifer Skarda McCann, and Kent Carruthers, our bank's president.
Clovis is the county seat of Curry County in New Mexico, and 10 miles west of the Texas line. The city has a population of approximately 37,000 and the county 48,000. Clovis has become a trade and financial center, serving an area population of approximately 140,000 north to Tucumcari, west to Santa Rosa, south to Milnesand, and east to Friona, Texas. Cannon Air Force Base is six miles west of Clovis and its extensive Melrose Bombing Range is southeast of Melrose.
The bank's area is agricultural with crops of wheat, milo, corn, cattle, and dairies. Clovis has an outstanding community college and is just 18 miles from Eastern New Mexico University an excellent liberal arts institution. Clovis' public schools and infrastructure are admirable.
The bank has full service branches in Fort Sumner and Texico, New Mexico, two drive-up facilities in Clovis, and four ATM locations. We also have two loan production offices, one in Ruidoso, New Mexico, and the other in Moriarty, New Mexico. The bank has operated a trust department since 1956.